(Click on below image for larger photo)
Time Required: Approx 1-1.5 hours
8mm, 10mm, 12mm sockets
Wire cutters, wire strippers, wire crimping tool
Zip tie cutters, scissors
#2 phillips screwdriver, #0 phillips screwdriver
Recommended: Volt meter, trim panel removal tool
1) Begin by folding up/hinging forward the second row seat bottom.
Then remove the second row under seat trim. The trim is held in place by several spring clips.
2) Remove the hybrid battery main disconnect.
3) Remove the four 10mm bolts holding the high voltage cable inlet cover plate. This plate must be removed prior to removing the hybrid battery compartment cover.
4) Remove the hybrid battery compartment cover.
NOTE: We recommend cleaning the hybrid battery cooling fan air intake grill and fan blades.
The intake grill is located on the left (drivers side) of the hybrid battery compartment as shown. The fan blades will be accessible from the top of the fan blower.
5) Begin installation of the Prolong Car Harness by routing it into the hybrid battery compartment through the rear left (driver side) wire harness entry point as shown in the image at left. A close up view of the entry point is shown in the next image.
6) This is a close up view of how the Prolong Car Harness is routed into the hybrid battery compartment.
7) Connect the black HV negative wire to the left most battery module forward 8mm terminal bolt as shown in the photo at left. Torque to approx 4-5 ft lb. Do not over tighten.
8) [Camry Hybrid reference photo shown]. This is what the black HV negative wire should look like once attached to the module
9) Connect the red HV positive wire to the right most battery module forward 8mm terminal bolt as shown in the photo at left. Torque to approx 4-5 ft lb. Do not over tighten.
11) Remove the black plastic fan cover and locate the four wire hybrid battery fan wire harness.
Cut the fan wire harness at the point indicated in the photo at right.
12) Begin the fan harness installation by noting which end of the Prolong Car Harness fan box should be wired to the fan and which end should be wired to the vehicle.
The fan side of the box is further from the blue & yellow wire entry point.
The vehicle side of the box is closer to the blue & yellow wire entry point.
13) Crimp the Prolong Car Harness fan box wires inline to the existing harness according to the following wire color coding:
|Prolong Harness||OEM Harness|
Once complete tuck the fan box into the space next to the battery fan as shown in the image at left.
14) IMPORTANT – Test the charger before re-assembling the vehicle. We recommend that you connect the charger to the car harness before plugging it into the wall and unplug it from the wall before disconnecting it from the car.
To perform the initial function test: First, make sure all fingers and tools are clear of all wiring and hybrid battery components. Plug the charger into the car harness. With the hybrid battery main disconnect still removed, plug the charger into the wall. After a few seconds, it should read approx 360 volts on the meter and both the charger and hybrid battery cooling fan should be running.
Next, carefully connect hybrid battery main disconnect. One the disconnect is reinstalled, be sure to lock the release ring/handle up and in place to make a good connection.
You should see the charger voltage drop as the charger voltage equalizes with the voltage level of the battery pack. This should happen quickly. The voltage level should be stable and not fluctuating. All fans should still be running.
This completes the test. Unplug the charger from the AC power source and disconnect the charger from the car harness. If the test was successful, you can leave the hybrid battery main disconnect in place.
15) Reassemble the hybrid battery compartment enclosure and rear upholstery in the reverse order of removal.