(Click on below image for larger photo)
Time Required: Approx 1-1.5 hours
Trim panel removal tool
8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm sockets
#0 flat heat screwdriver
#2 phillips screwdriver
Recommended: Volt meter
1) Disconnect 12V under-hood auxiliary battery by removing ground terminal as shown.
2) Remove rear cargo cover (if equipped).
Fold down rear seat backs. Remove right side seat back and slide forward into rear foot well area. Note: After removing inner seat bolt, slide seat back toward center of vehicle to release outer seat back pin.
3) Remove rear center trunk carpet by lifting straight up on forward portion to detach three spring clips.
4) Remove inner spare tire foam.
Remove spare tire.
Remove outer spare tire foam.
5) Remove left side and right side cargo area carpet pieces.
6) Remove left side and right side spare tire bracket trim pieces.
7) Remove center trunk carpet support by firmly pulling straight up.
8) Remove four 12mm bolts and remove spare tire bracket.
9) Remove two 10mm bolts and remove IMA disconnect switch cover.
10) Turn of IMA disconnect switch and remove 10mm interlock bolt.
11) Remove four Torx T-30 bolts (on top) and two upholstery clips (on back) and remove IMA battery cover. Remove battery cover.
You are now dealing with exposed high voltage module terminals. Do not touch the terminals unless specifically advised by these instructions. Never touch more than one terminal at a time. Be very careful working around the semi-live battery! It can kill you if you do not respect it!
12) Remove rear center trunk trim by pulling firmly straight up.
13) The right side of the IMA battery compartment is where you will make the charger connections.
14) On the car harness, bend the red HV+ terminal back 90 degrees to facilitate installation.
Repeat this process on the black HV- wire terminal by bending it 90 degrees as well (not shown).
15) Connect the red HV+ and black HV- terminals to the battery pack as shown.
Be very careful to not drop the small phillips screw down into the IMA battery compartment.
TIP: You may want to use a magnetic pick-up tool to pull the phillips screw and 10mm bolt out of the compartment (after loosening) and reposition for installation. This will help ensure the fasteners are not dropped into the IMA compartment.
Using provided large zip tie, secure wire harness inside IMA compartment as shown.
16) Secure the red HV+ wire with provided small zip tie as shown.
Remove excess cable from both zip ties.
17) Lay wire harness into rear cargo area and remove the back half of the right side cargo area panel as shown.
(We use a bungee cord to hold the panel out of the way.)
18) Route the wire harness under the right support bracket. Be sure to leave some slack in the wire harness between the IMA compartment and side paneling compartment.
19) Unplug wire harness from IMA battery cooling fan and Plug wire harness cooling fan control module in line with hybrid battery fan.
20) Install anti-tension zip tie as shown.
21) IMPORTANT– Test the charger before finishing re-assembly of the vehicle. We recommend that you connect the charger to the car harness before plugging it into the wall and unplug it from the wall before disconnecting it from the car harness.
To perform the initial function test: First, make sure all fingers and tools are clear of all wiring and hybrid battery components. Plug the Charger into the car harness. With the hybrid battery main disconnect still removed, plug the Charger into the wall. After a few seconds, it should read approx 120 volts on the meter and both the charger and hybrid battery cooling fans should be running.
Note in the image at left the IMA battery main disconnect switch is off and the charger is displaying max voltage and no amperage.
22) Turn the IMA disconnect switch to the on position.
You should see the voltage drop as the charger voltage equalizes with the voltage level of the battery pack. This should happen quickly. The voltage level should be stable and not fluctuating. All fans should still be running.
If anything is wrong, stop and contact us. If the fan is ‘pulsing’ (powering on and off) every few seconds, stop and contact us.
This completes the test. Unplug the Charger from the AC power source and disconnect the Charger from the car harness.
Turn the IMA disconnect switch to the off position.
23) Reinstall IMA battery compartment lid. Tighten four Torx T-30 bolts and reinstall two plastic retainer clips.
Reinstall 10mm IMA interlock bolt. Turn the IMA disconnect switch to the on position. Reinstall two 10mm bolts and remove IMA disconnect switch cover.
24) Reassemble the rear cargo area upholstery in the reverse order of removal:
Install the right side cargo area panel.
Install the spare tire bracket.
Install the front center trunk trim piece.
Install the rear sill trim piece.
Install the two spare tire bracket trim pieces.
Install the rear right seat back.
Install the left side and right side cargo area carpet pieces
25) Lift up on wire harness and reinstall rear outer spare tire foam.
Install spare tire.
Install inner spare tire foam.
Finish by reinstalling the rear cargo area center carpet base and cargo cover & trunk mat (if equipped).
26) When charging place the charger in the rear cargo area as shown.
When not in use, the car harness can be stored in the rear lower foam trunk pocket.
27) Reconnect 12V Aux battery negative terminal.
Start vehicle and let engine idle for ~5-10 minutes so IMA system can recalibrate.